I could live in boyfriend jeans. They are like the socially acceptable equivalent of sweatpants. After hunting for the perfect pair for months, I found one that is not only comfy as hell, but also… More
It has been 100 degrees in DC and I have just about had enough. Here are some of my favorites that can take the heat.
1 Soap and Glory “One Heck of a Blot” Primer: seriously this primer rocks and this is coming from a girl who loves primer. On the bottle it says made with”12 hour shine bloc” and “pore shrinking” technology. All I know is that walking to the metro in 800 degrees my makeup is still in tact and matte. I can’t complain. As for pores, eh, not as great as Benefit’s Porefessional.
2. Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick in “Dusty Rose:” my favorite brand of liquid lipsticks and such a wearable summery color. Wear it all day it seriously won’t budge.
3. Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush in “Exposed:” This is an amazing nude blush that is so natural looking. I always use it for a “no makeup” makeup look because this blush makes it look like you have been laying out in the sun all afternoon.
4. Too Faced Better than Sex Mascara: Best mascara on the planet. Worth every cent. Always a favorite. This summer I have been wearing it out with no eye liner and it still looks amazing.
5. Tory Burch Perfume Rollerball: I bring this shit everywhere and people are constantly asking me about it. It smells so citrus-y and summer-y and it’s only $29.
6. Loreal True Match Concealer: Don’t get me wrong – Mac Pro Longwear is my favorite concealer, but the pump makes it take so long to put on so recently I have been avoiding it. This one is a great drugstore dupe for Urban Decay Naked Skin. The applicator is amazing and makes life so much easier and has pretty great coverage. I hate spending a lot of time on makeup in the summer so this one has been my go to.
7. Anasrasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade: So I ran out of my brow wiz so I have begun using the Dipbrow again and I have fallen back in love. While it has a rep for making fierce bold brows, you can also easily put together a natural every day look.
Let me know in the comment section below what beauty products you can’t get enough of this summer!
Liquid lipsticks are probably the best thing that has ever happened in the world of makeup. You can spend the day outside in 100 degree weather, eat the messiest of cheeseburgers, then make out with a gorgeous guy, and still have some solid color going? I’m sold.
With literally every brand coming out with their own versions of this beauty fad, how can you be sure which is best?
Don’t worry kittens. I have spent way too much of my free time trying out some of the most popular lippies so you don’t have to. I broke down the pro’s and con’s of each including price, staying power, color selection, and ease of application.
From left to right: Colourpop Cosmetics Ultra Matte Lip in “Teeny Tiny,” Kat Von D Liquid Lipstick in “Lolita,” Bare Minerals Gen Nude Matte Lipcolor in “Juju,” Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick in “Soft Lilac,” Stila Stay All Day liquid lipstick in “Beso.”
1. Colourpop Ultra Matte Lip
Pros: by far the best staying power, price ($6 dude), color selection (35 to choose from)
Cons: super drying (you gotta hella exfoliate your lips beforehand and lather on the Burts Bees)
2. Kat Von D Liquid Lipstick
Pros: the color lolita (it has a cult following for a reason), easy application, staying power, large color selection (29 shades)
Cons: love the color selection but many are too edgy for daytime (sorry KVD), price ($20)
3. Bare Minerals Gen Nude Lipcolor
Pros: color selection is huge (19 shades) and they are all so wearable, easy application
Cons: staying power (honestly disappointing, smears easily while others could last a and yes I’m lookin at you Colourpop), price ($18)
4. Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick
Pros: staying power, super pigmented, huge color selection (21 shades), really easy to apply
Cons: price ($27)
5. Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick
Pros: color selection…that’s about it
Cons: super liquidy and harder to apply, staying power isn’t horrible but not as great as others on the list, price ($24)
Here’s my definitive ranking:
1. Anastasia Beverly Hills
3. Kat Von D
4. Bare Minerals
Honestly I would repurchase all of them except Stila. I know I missed a ton of brands (NYX, Ofra, Limecrime, etc.) sorry, your girl will waste her paycheck on makeup but that paycheck can’t buy all of them.
Comment below your favorite brands/colors because I am genuinely interested! Happy Monday 😉
You’ve heard of it, hell, you might have even thought about buying it while passing through the super expensive health food aisle of Whole Foods, but how much do you really know about one of nature’s trendiest superfoods and why and how should you incorporate it into your diet?
Chia means “strength” in the Mayan language. These nutrient dense seeds were originally grown in Mexico, where Aztec warriors would eat them for energy and endurance.
Each spoonful is packed with 42% RDV fiber, 9% RDV protein, 18% RDV calcium, and over 6000 mg of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
The benefits of chia seeds are immeasurable. Studies have shown that the antioxidant rich nature of chia seeds can prevent premature skin aging. Chia seeds also promote heart and digestive health while also working to boost your metabolism, help you lose weight, and give you energy.
Here’s some of my favorite ways to use chia seeds:
- Blueberry Vanilla Chia Pudding
- mix 1/4 cup chia seeds with 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk and 1/4 cup mashed blueberries
- allow to sit in the fridge overnight for about 4 hours or overnight
- optional: top with fresh fruit, granola, coconut, chocolate chips, anything!
2. Berry Chia Smoothie
- blend 1/3 cup any berries fresh or frozen (my favorite combo has pomegranate seeds in it) with 1/3 cup of greek yogurt, 1/2 banana, and 1/4 cup chia seeds
- that is literally it
3. Honey Almond Chia Granola
- Preheat oven to 300°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Mix together 2 cups of rolled oats, 3/4 cup sliced almonds, 1/2 cup chia seeds, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- In a separate bowl, mix 1/3 cup honey, 1/3 cup coconut oil, 1 tbs coconut sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and two tbs egg whites.
- Mix together wet and dry ingredients and spread the mixture flat on to a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, stir, then cook for an additional 15 minutes until the granola is golden brown.
Comment below and let me know some of your favorite ways to use chia seeds!
- Acceptance of yourself is more important than acceptance from others
- Getting no message is also a message
- Growth is painful. Change is painful. But nothing is as painful as staying stuck somewhere you don’t belong
- Be known as someone who is full of love and radiates light
- You probably have someone else’s goal physique; be nice to your body
- Dont say maybe if you want to say no
- Be with someone who makes your mondays feel like fridays
- Try to love yourself as much as you want someone else to
photo credit: cover
- Star Spangled Sangria
- Pineapple, cut into star shapes
- 2 bottles dry white wine
- 1 cup Triple Sec
- 1/2 Cup berry-flavored vodka
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup simple syrup
2. Blueberry Strawberry Mojito
- 3 tablespoons fresh blueberries
- 2 fresh strawberries, diced
- 10-15 fresh mint leaves (a small handful)
- 1/2 medium lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 ounces white rum
- Club soda
3. Watermelon Blueberry Cooler
- 6 ounces watermelon
- 1 ounce blueberry vodka
- 1-2 lemon wedges
- blue decorating sugar, optional for rim
4. RW&B Jello Shots
- 1 3 oz. envelope of strawberry jello
- Vodka or rum
- 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 envelope of unflavored gelatin
- 1 3 oz. envelope of berry blue jello
5. Patriotic Gin & Tonic
- 2 oz gin
- 6 oz tonic
Life is freaking nuts. Between work and school, we are somehow expected to stay healthy, make time for friends, keep in touch with family, and maintain a (somewhat) clean and organized living space. In the process we are losing ourselves. We are losing our sense of who we are and where we stand in the world.
I have always been the girl who sleeps in past noon, has millions of excuses on hand for getting out of work, and who, at the end of the day, was extremely unhappy and self conscious. After my boyfriend and I broke up this past spring, I realized I had no idea who I was outside of being a girlfriend, a friend, a sister, a daughter. I got lost in the routine of my mundane life. So I decided to use my newfound freedom as an opportunity to reinvent myself.
I began taking myself on dates to my favorite coffeeshop in Adams Morgan where I took up writing while the thick aroma of coffee and croissants enveloped my every inhale. I would visit my favorite bookstore outside of Friendship Heights and read books about art and history. I rediscovered who I was outside from my relationship to other people and gained a sense of direction for the future.
I am a firm believer that if you start your day right you can live a decluttered and mindful life, while also making time for happy hour with your work friends on Friday and brunch with your girls on Sunday. Here’s how:
1. Wake up early (ish)
Morning people run the world. Don’t believe me? Study after study confirm that waking up early is highly correlated with proactiveness, productivity, and positivity. Bonus, the extra time in the morning will give you the opportunity to set some goals for the day.
You don’t need to start by waking up at 4:30 am to go for a jog in the dark. Start slowly by waking up 15 minutes earlier than you normally would and then cut back another 15 minutes in a few days once you are used to that.
2. Get your shit together and meditate
Think meditating is hard? Most of us already meditate without realizing it. The last time you spent an extra five minutes in the shower because it felt too good to get out? Meditating. The time you laid out tanning by yourself doing absolutely nothing but absorbing vitamin D? Meditating.
The western world has become enamoured with eastern practices, and for good reason. Studies have proven that meditation promotes happiness, and helps control anxiety and depression.
Start by setting a timer and making yourself sit for two minutes every day. Leave behind judgement and any inclination you have to overthink your practice. With time commit to 10 minutes, then 20. As you make meditation a part of your daily routine, you will learn to control your thoughts and emotions and gain perspective on the world outside of your day-to-day obligations.
3. Affirm your insecurities
I remember walking down the hair dye aisles of the drugstore as a little girl wishing I could dye my brown hair blonde and that there was some way I could make my tan skin lighter. Just two years ago, I vividly remember trying on my brand new Victoria’s Secret bathing suit (which I emptied my bank account to afford for spring break) and immediately bursting into tears upon looking at my body in the mirror.
I have come a long way since then and I owe it to affirmations. When you start each day by saying out loud. “I am confident,” “today will be amazing,” “I am happy,” you over time start to believe it and embody those mantras in the way you carry yourself and your outlook on life.
When I first started I had no idea where to begin and felt ridiculous speaking to myself. I began by listening to recordings while I put on makeup or while driving to work. My favorite ones are by Louise Hay, who is known as one of the founders of the modern self-help movement (I recommend “101 Power Thoughts”).
From there, you can tailor the affirmations to what is going on in your life at the moment. When I was feeling self conscious I would say things like “I love myself and my body,” and when I was going through a breakup (you’re talking to a serial monogamist) I would say things like “I am no longer tied down and can do whatever I want” or “I am happier without him” and believe it or not, I actually started to believe it.
4. Make yourself a power breakfast
Treat yourself to some instagram-worthy breakfasts. A protein-packed breakfast will help curb your appetite for the rest of the day and make you feel energized and satisfied. Get inspired and try out acai bowls, over easy eggs with avocado toast, green smoothies, chia pudding, or smoothie bowls. Or if you’re feeling fancy, try out these low calorie quinoa pancakes (I can testify to their yumminess). No one wants to go to work hangry.
5. Read the news
Smart is sexy. Not only will reading the news enhance your vocabulary and comprehension over time, but doing so will also help you form opinions on contentious issues from gun violence to global poverty.
If you get bored reading CNN, there are so many engaging news sources that cover every issue from public health to rape culture on college campuses. Vox has an amazing youtube channel that breaks down complex issues you never understood in a three to five minute video. Subscribe to theSkimm for a quick and dirty break down of the week’s major headlines so you’re well equipped to make small talk with your hard to please boss.
Ugh – trust me I know. I am no athlete. If you see me running, you might as well run too because there is probably something bad coming. But whether you spend 10 minutes doing sun salutations or spend $30+ on a SoulCycle class (guilty) starting your day moving your body will not only jumpstart your metabolism and fill your body with endorphins, but also make you feel productive and at least create the illusion that you have your life together.
If you’re really struggling, start by simply committing to put your yoga mat out or putting on your running shoes when you wake up every day. You are much more likely to follow through if you have already taken the first steps.
At the end of the day (or the beginning!) happiness is a choice. Many of us spend our days assuming we will be happier if our circumstances change, but a growing body of research in positive psychology exhibit that happiness is a choice that any of us can make. This is it. This is your life. Why not start living your best life today?